It’s always somewhat different (and forgive me for saying, but harder) to do these reviews for the prettier part of our hiking and trekking community and find that best hiking shoes or boots that would suit women hikers of different “breeds”.
But we never have that much of a problem when working on the Moab for Women, since it seems that Merrel struck just the right balance between toughness and elegance with these. If this boot was a woman it would be Carrie Bradshaw meets Wonder Woman type of gal.
No wonder that this boot is top rated in the category of women hiking boots with a kickass rating of 4.8 / 5.
Here’s what you’ll see in this review:
- basic product specs as provided by Merrel
- chosen positive reviews from the users – the PROs
- chosen negative reviews – CONs
- our conclusion, ratings in 10 categories and finally, an Overall Rating
Basic product description as MerrelL said it:
Here we’ll have the opportunity to see what the manufacturer itself has to say about its product:
- Mesh and leather
- Vibram sole
- Bellow tongue will keep the debris out
- Breathable and wicking mesh lining will keep your feet dry
- M Select FRESH for odor prevention
- Comfort QForm midsole ensures a special form of cushioning (stride-sequenced) for fitting specific needs of women
As we tend not to fall victim to marketing, there is not much we can say based on manufacturer’s specification alone, without the extra help from our fellow customers. But if we had to pass judgment based solely on what we’ve read here, these Merrells Moabs are top-selling hiking model for women for a reason.
Some things about these the Merrel Moab that met users’ approval (quotes) – the PROs:
- I use these shoes every single day! I do my daily errands wearing them, and I wear them to work. They’re just so comfortable you’ll never want to take them off, but the thing I came to appreciate the most about them is how they relieve the ball of pressure by rolling my foot on the outside
- These are the best women hiking boots I’ve ever owned! I completely forgot what it means to have blisters or sore feet since I started wearing them. Also, my feet problems are a legion, and they really helped me putting a lot of them in check
- I’ve read a lot of women hiking shoes reviews, and it’s not a particularly interesting read, let me tell you. But I’ve finally come across these, and the sheer number of positive reviews made my mind for me in favor of getting them. Now that I did some hiking with them I can honestly say all those reviews were true, and I have a feeling like my hiking experience just leveled up
- Great cushion and support!
- I own 4 pairs of these. They were all bought with a designated purpose in mind: hiking, running errands, walking the dog, and the oldest pair serves for mowing the lawn. As you can see, I use them for literally everything possible, which should say enough as to how I feel about them!
- I gave them a proper beating during our hike through the Death Valley, and they took it all like champs. They are extremely well made and durable as far as I’m concerned, and I can’t wait to test them against some other trails I have in mind
- They do something great to my feet, and I just enjoy the experience without asking too many questions J I’ve had surgical procedures done on both of my feet, and these somehow keep me going for 4-5 miles in one go, which was unthinkable before I got them. Thank you, Merrell, for giving me back what I love most!
- The support is out of this world, plus they look very sharp and go perfectly with a pair of jeans and a casual shirt. I wear them to work, which includes 8 hours a day of solid concrete walking. I don’t know how I would manage it without these bad boys
- The amount of flexibility these boots have is simply staggering! They are very stiff and protective when I go over some sharp rocks, but at the same time they follow perfectly the movement of my feet. Great boots and one very happy customer here
- They provide perfect traction where it counts the most. Slippery ice? Wet rocks? Slimy terrain? No problem!
- They’re very lightweight and, most importantly fit true to size. It’s my number one concern when I’m ordering shoes online, and I’m glad Merrell did what many other manufacturers simply refuse to; make your shoes as big as you say they are!
- Very sturdy bumper guards!
- They’re the lightest boots I’ve ever had, but the most protective at the same time. In the short time I wore them we’ve been through some rough terrains, and they perform beautifully. Not even the sharpest of rocks had nothing on them!
- Great shoes overall, but the point that really amazes me is how comfortable they are during the downhill descent. The toebox is so roomy I’ve had absolutely no problems with my toes suffering the full impact of downhill movement
Not so pleasant user experiences – the CONs:
Now we’ll see what the users frowned upon when it comes to these hiking boots:
- It took me a while to get accustomed to wearing these since they’re structured differently when compared to my other shoes, but I am getting used to them…
- I wished they were completely water-resistant, but the manufacturer isn’t advertising them as such, so I can’t really say that’s a con per se
Conclusion of the Merrel Moab for Women review and our rating
It would appear that customers tend to confirm overwhelmingly what the manufacturer had to say about these boots and add a bit to it even.
They report a great comfort provided by them, proper support and incredible traction, avid durability and great level of overall design and execution, plenty of toe room and a comfortable feel during the downhill descent, very sturdy bumpers and an optimal protection from dangers underfoot.