Under Armour Tactical Zip Boots – Reviews of TOP 3
No fierce competition here, I’m afraid. The boots listed-here are pretty much all the Under Armour side-zip boots on the market. So, we can’t have hundreds of different tactical boots battling it out in every update as we usually would. Having said that, one of them stands out and it’s the Valsetz Side-Zip (image and ratings below).
What do we have to show for the two months since the last update?
We had a bunch of new customer reviews on Amazon, so we have additional feedback painting a broader picture of these models. We’ve also corresponded with some of them via E-mail for a more in-depth feedback.
We also had our featured reviewer do an additional testing of Valsetz RTS Side Zip Tactical Boot. It never hurts having a second opinion (or third in this case). He had some pretty interesting things to add to the overall fund of info we had on these, and also raised some interesting questions along the way.
So, we were super busy since the last update, even though the pool of products might not be as wide as in some other cases.
How do our reviews of tactical boots work?
What you don’t see behind that final grade are hundreds of hours of work SoleLabz team put in to crunch all the tedious data into a single digit.
We put featured reviews, our own impressions and user feedback into a blender that is SoleLabz. We then dish out the final number by calculating the average grade out of tens of categories for every boot, shoe and sneaker. Nobody said “protecting people from bad shoes” was an easy job, but we love it.
What to expect in the reviews on the top-rated UA side-zipper boots
- We’ll have three digest reviews, one for each tactical boot
- Every review will start with quick specs overview, followed by PROs/CONs as per users who bought the boots
- Finally, we’ll have a proper summation of everything we’ve read in this guide
Without ado – the TOP 3 best-rated side-zippers by UA:
|UA Valsetz Side-zip||95 / 100|
|UA Valsetz RTS side-zip||94 / 100|
|UA tactical zipper boot||90 / 100|
Review of Under Armour Men’s Valsetz Side Zip
This boot is not only the best rated in this category, but it’s the best rated Under Armour tactical boots overall.
- Synthetic uppers
- Same Under Armour Valsetz from before with added side zip benefits
- The upper features patches of water-resistant and lightweight mesh materials for optimal comfort, breathability and longevity
- Fully contoured and compression molded EVA midsole gives extra cushioning to the foot
- ArmourGuide provides efficacious foot guidance impact-to-propulsion
- ArmourBound ensures responsive and superior cushioning
- This is one lightweight piece of tactical footwear. It feels like I’m wearing my running sneakers
- The comfort and light weight of these combat boots really helped mitigate my knee pain without sacrificing the overall support
- Every review of these army boots I’ve read where people had some issues ended with Under Armour sending them a new pair free of charge. That’s how you take care of your customers
- I have the original Valsetz, but side zip was a more than welcome addition to the already successful recipe. It makes putting them on/off so much faster and easier
- The zipper looks and feels really tough. I’ve usually had problems with side zip tactical boots in the past where the zipper simply fails or falls off after a month or two. I’ve had these for about 4 months now, and everything feels solid so far
- I’ve been using Under Armour boots for hunting and fishing well over 2 years now, and they never fail to perform. The side zip Valsetz is exactly what I needed when I’m heading out at 4 AM and can’t tell my left foot from the right
- They’re absolutely true to size
- Amazing comfort and light weight for a tactical boot. I have high arches, and the design of the soles really gives me all the support I need to function properly
- They look amazing! Just what I like in combat boots. Both cool and aggressive design paired with comfort and support. Touchdown for Under Armour!
- I’m an off-trail hiker, and these really come in handy when I’m going over wet and slippery rocks or icy patches. The traction is superb, and they should be a standard part of every hiker’s essentials
- The shipping went without a hitch, they even arrived two days before the set date
- The most important thing for me is the breathability in tactical boots. My feet sweat off the charts, and I really need proper ventilation to prevent them to cock during the hike. These somehow manage to have a great ventilation thanks to the meshy parts, but still support my feet properly and offer water resistance
- The best duty boots I’ve ever bought! I walk 6-7 miles every day patrolling the campus, and these really helped with my aching knees and ankles
- I got scared that the box they came in was empty when I first got it. They’re just so light; it’s like nothing I’ve seen so far. I almost don’t feel them on my feet after wearing Bates tactical shoes for 3 years
- I really wish they made them completely waterproof, but that would probably add to the overall weight
- They look ubercool, but I’d definitely like some additional color choices. I like to go crazy with super bright colors, and I don’t have that option here, which pisses me off even more since I really like the boots
- The zipper on the left boot came off about two months after I got these tactical boots. I contacted Under Armour, and their customer service told me the new pair will be on its way in a couple of days. I really need to give a shoot-out to those guys, they definitely don’t sleep on the job
- They made all kinds of squeaking sound right out of the box. I was so disappointed by the noise since they’re the most comfortable boots I’ve ever tried. Then they just stopped all of a sudden. I figure they do that until you put a couple of miles under them…
- They are flexible, soft and all, but they definitely need a short period to break in
Under Armour Valsetz RTS Side- 2nd best rated
Specs of the boot:
- The upper is a mix between synthetic leather and textile
- Ankle support provided by UA ClutchFit System
- DWR upper is water resistant
- Extra protection via toe wrap made of thermal polyurethane
- The whole foot is encircled by an abrasion-resistant polyurethane welded film
- 7” high
- Ortholite and anti-microbial insoles
- Ultra light reinforced G midsole features TPU shank
- Rubber lugs are designed as low profile
- You can read our more detailed review of the Valsetz Side-zip here
- I’ve always failed to find decent work boots that offer enough protection without them feeling like two rocks strapped to my feet. These were definitely a revelation. They’re extremely lightweight, but steel keep my feet tight and protected during my shift
- They look amazing! I can even pair them with my casual combinations, and they still work
- They’re very easy to wash and clean. Plus, they dry out in a blink of an eye
- No matter the tactical boots I chose, I always had blisters on my heels. These move together with my feet, and there’s no rubbing or friction in the back part whatsoever. Who would’ve though the solution for my blister problem was just a boot away?
- The soles are really soft, but not soft as not to provide sufficient protection. I can feel everything I step on, and it gives me a better feel for the terrain while protecting my feet at the same time
- I walked over some pretty sharp rocks in these in order to see exactly what they can do, and they didn’t disappoint, I can tell you that much. The outsoles took it like champs, and my feet came out of the whole adventure without a scratch
- The price seems more than reasonable once you put them on and feel how comfortable and supportive they are. So, I got a great pair of men’s UA tactical zip boots without nuking my monthly budget
- Under Armour offers lifetime warranty on their boots??
- I used to wear trail runners on my hikes simply because I couldn’t find hiking boots that are light enough. It never occurred to me I was looking at the wrong place the whole time. Under Armour really makes them light, so the feeling of a running shoe is still there packed in a tactical boot. Not a moment too soon either since I just finished recovering from an injury I got when a sharp rock sliced through my sneaker like it was butter
- These side zip UA tactical boots made me one happy firefighter! My shifts are crazy long, working conditions are a nightmare, and my feet and knees really started to feel it. These feel like two clouds I put on my feet every day before I go to work every day
- Best tactical boots for construction work period! It’s hard work, and having all the wrong gear makes it even harder. Well, at least, I can’t say I haven’t got the perfect pair of boots anymore. The most important part is that they’re comfortable even after you wear them for 10 hours straight. Under Armour, my feet thank you
- This is the first time I actually found any kind of footwear online that’s true to size
- As an ex-marine, now a police officer I can say these are the best tactical boots I’ve ever had. They also include side zip, which makes everything infinitely easier. I’ve burned through dozens of combat boots in my day and still wear them. UA definitely makes the most comfortable and lightweight models you can find
- They tend to get a bit noisy when wet
- There are no waterproof iterations of these tac boots. That’s the only downside
- Under Armour is generally skimpy when it comes to colors in their tactical boots. I don’t know why since I have a lot of their running shoes, and they come in all the colors of the rainbow
- They’re not all that good in winter conditions
Under Armour Tactical Zip Boots
- Synthetic upper
- Full-grain leather is polishable and gives unparalleled field durability
- Panels made of ballistic mesh provide breathability and optimal comfort
- YKK zipper on the inner side
- Ortholite footbed is molded and gives superior cushion to your feet while keeping it locked in
- Anti-Odor tech
Positive customer feedback:
- I’ve never been a huge fan of tactical boots with a side zip, but these made me look differently at the whole matter. The zipper is actually strong here and won’t come off after you zip and unzip it twice
- Finally, a comfortable tactical boot that can hold a shine
- They look really professional and match military purposes and dressing code perfectly
- I’m a police officer, and these came as a blessing during my 12+ hrs shifts. They’re really comfortable, hold the shine well and give my aching feet a proper support
- It’s a real heavy-duty boot coming from Under Armour. I wore Valsetz before, but they were too squishy for me. These give me that solid feel I want out of tactical boots, and the zipper on the side is just a nice option to have
- They’re true to size, and they’re basically the lightest pair of tactical boots I’ve ever owned
- These boots feel like I’m going to work (law enforcement) in my running shoes. Only Under Armour makes them like this
- Very tough zipper and a well-made tactical boot overall
- I’ve been wearing these daily for 5 months now, and they’re still showing no signs of damage or wear. I’m in the army, so you know I wasn’t overly gentle to them. The bottom line is, they blow my standard issue tactical boots out of the water
- I bought these tactical boots because of overwhelmingly positive reviews I found online. They were certainly true, I can tell you that. I’m working on foot for the better part of the day, and they’re the most comfortable pair I’ve ever tried
- They do a much better job at keeping my feet dry than the Valsetz
- They offer plenty of protection from everything underfoot. I would expect tactical boots this protective to be much much heavier, though
- They look really sharp. I like that they’re polishable cause I would be really bummed out if they weren’t
- I like how I get that nice and snug fit once I lace them up tightly. My previous combat boots almost felt like the laces were untied all the time
- They require no time to break in whatsoever
Excerpts from the less positive review:
- They can sometimes be hard to put on if I don’t untie the laces
- They’re heavier than Under Armour Valsetz side zip
- My feet sweat a bit more in these compared to my UA Valsetz
- They’re great boots but somewhat pricey
- The overall design feels bulky to me. I think I’m used to the slim and streamlined Valsetz design so it’ll take some time to get used to
The advantages of a boot that features a side-zipper
Zippers definitely add to the overall style factor of your tactical boots, but that’s not the type of advantages we have in mind here.
Let’s go over some “real” and practical reasons that make side-zip tactical boots a good choice:
- Obviously, they’re much easier to put on and take off
- They’re easier to remove in case of an injured foot, providing ample time for needed medical attention
- They provide the possibility of replicating your preferred fit perfectly without playing around with the laces
We’re wrapping up this guide with a hope that Under Armour gives us few more side zip tactical boots to work with, we leave you ‘till the next update. We’re on the lookout and in the meantime, we’ll send some other brand boots with side zippers out to be tested.
Leave a Reply