The purpose of the Solelabz website is to help you find the perfect pair of hiking shoes or boots for your needs. It’s where actual users and hiking experts and aficionados share their advice.
This guide is just one in the series and it represents the best of the best the section of Merrel hiking boots at the moment. It does change as the circumstances on the market change and it is updated every two months.
Let’s not dilly-dally and let us present you with the currently top Merrels for women on the market today.
Moving on to take a closer look at each of these boots and what is it about them that deserved the right to be on the list of the best. We’ll take a look at the basic specs as provided by the company and then pay closer attention to what users had to say about a particular pair, which is really what makes or breaks a boot.
|Moab Ventilator Hiking Boot||4.8 / 5|
|Azura Carex Hiking Boot||4.6 / 5|
|Women’s Salida Hiking Boot||4.8 / 5|
|Siren Hiking Boot||4.7 / 5|
|Women’s Moab Hiking Boot||4.9 / 5|
Moab Ventilator Hiking Boot
Now we’ll list out some introductory product information:
- Synthetic sole
- Shaft approximately measures 5 inches from arch
- Bellows tongue
- Rubber toe bumper
- Toe cap made of synthetic leather
- EVA compression-molded footframe
- Merrell air cushion for shock absorption
- Heel counter
- Multi-sport Plus Vibram sole featuring TC5+ rubber
Quite informative and exhaustive product specification. More material for our fellow customers to confirm or negate.
Here are some positive experiences:
- These are the only shoes I’ve ever bought that didn’t hurt my feet like hell during my first hike wearing them. I expected them to be a bit uncomfortable at first, you know, until they break-in a little, but they were super comfortable right off the bat. Great pair of boots, certainly glad I got them
- No blisters whatsoever during our first group hike, nor did my feet end up all sore after the first couple of miles. My group on the other hand used up my entire supply of bandages, hating me in silence for my beautiful new boots
- My ankles are pretty done for at this point, and I thought I’ll never get to do a longer hike again. These gave me a tremendous amount of ankle support, and I’ve managed to put 6 miles behind me on the first go. That was something I couldn’t have even imagined just a few weeks ago, and I owe it all to Merrell boots
- These boots make the hikes with my husband so much more enjoyable. He’s an avid hiker, and he’s simply blasting with energy. Needless to say, my perfect day is spent in a warm den, in front of a TV, sipping wine. So, in the past I always had trouble keeping up with him without getting my feet all sore and blistery. It’s so much easier since we bought these boots. They’re super comfortable and make me feel like they’re doing all the work while I’m walking
- I can’t even put into words how great these boots really are. They’re the best Merrell women hiking boots today, and that’s saying a lot
- I have problems galore when it comes to my feet. With 12 hours work day of constant concrete pounding, my feet are in so much pain at the end of the day… I actually live on my feet, and I desperately needed a pair of boots such as these. They are lifesavers, and I thank Merrell from the bottom of my heart
And some negative ones:
- They are not exactly true to size
- I really wished for some additional arch support
- I had to get a size larger since they appear to be running smaller
Final thoughts about the Moab Ventilator for women
The Moab and the Moab Ventilator has become somewhat of an industry standard and it wasn’t a surprise to our little team here at the SoleLabz that this boot came out as top rated in the category of hiking boots for women.
The two points you see deducted are for the finish quality and design. Again, these two are a bit relative and you’re the one that will decide if this is the pair for you based on the conditions you will be using them for and your taste.
That is why we have the statistical rating system, the exclude bias of any sort from our side. We think that the quality of the materials used for the finish here deserves a 5 but the user reviews gave it an overall 4 based on a variety of conditions.
Anyway, this is how true comfort looks like. Excellent pair of hiking boots and one of the best boots for women out there. It’s been like that for years now which means that the quality is consistent and there aren’t many things that can go wrong if you end up deciding to get the Moab Ventilator.
Azura Carex Hiking Boot
Here is some basic information:
- Synthetic sole
- Shaft approximately measures 5 inches from arch
- Adjustable circumference
Here are some pleasant user experiences:
- I’ve learned over the years to always get one size bigger Merrell shoes, so these are also a perfect fit. I can wear them with pretty much any kinds of socks, and they’ll still fit like a glove. So, if you’re buying Merrells, one size bigger is the way to go
- A+ boot, no questions about it. They’re also the best Merrell women hiking shoes I’ve ever owned. They’re very comfortable and make walking more natural and safe when I’m going over some rough or slippery terrain
- The traction these offer is simply amazing. No matter if I’m ascending/descending, or sidewalking. I’ve never slipped once, and my feet don’t hurt at all while going over some pretty sharp rocks. Great buy and I would recommend it not just as hiking boots but also as your everyday footwear. They’re that good
- I just can’t believe how lightweight these are. I mean you come to expect boots to be safe and sturdy, but you also know they’ll be pretty heavy. Not these ones. They give me everything I might want out of a hiking boot, with drastically reduced weight compared to my previous pair. What’s not to love
- Great boots! Besides obviously being high-quality footwear, they also look pretty cute. A little style never hurt anybody
- I always wanted a pair of good mid hikers, but never really got around to spend that kind of money. I found these at a discount and paid only 45 bucks for them! Now that’s what I call a great deal. They’re really amazing, and I can’t believe I got them this cheap
- This is one exceptionally warm boot for winter. My feet are very sensitive, and on top of that they suffered some mild frost bites before. We still tend to hike in some pretty low temperatures, and these have kept my feet nice and warm all the way. My sincere recommendation
- They offer a great protection for my feet without being too bulky or heavy
- I like the color combinations and overall outlook, in general. They’re just designed beautifully and have that feminine spark about them while still being heavy-duty hiking boots
- I’m a big time Merrell user and I’ve read a bunch of Merrell hiking boots reviews prior to buying these, just to see what else is out there. I still went with them, and they’re the exact same quality my previous pair was. Merrell is certainly keeping the quality bar high all the time. They offer a great deal of ankle support for mid cut boots, which is uber relevant for me since my ankles are as frail as you can get
And now let’s go over some of the less than pleasant ones:
- They’re significantly lighter than I expected, which doesn’t fill me with confidence. I have yet to take them for a test hike, so we’ll see how it goes
- I wish there were more color combinations. They’re girl boots after all, and we always want more colors
Conclusions about the Azura Carex
Very solid hiking boot with a final quality rating of 4.6/5 in our statistical rating model. The points deducted were for the price, design, finish quality and guarantee.
A rating of 4 in each of these categories is still great but in all of these categories We’ve seen too many negative customer reviews to give them a solid 5. Some of these things are relative – like the quality of the finish – the ratings of 4 here does not mean they will fall apart or that they have bad seams. In this case it merely means that the pair is not as universal as some other boots. Example – a bit too much leather and textile for wet conditions.
Having said that, it is out opinion that this is a great choice -reduced weight without taxing the comfort and safety. Excellent product but still budget friendly.
Women’s Salida Hiking Boot
This is manufacturer’s product description:
- Synthetic sole
- Shaft approximately measures 6 inches from arch
- Padded tongue and collar
- EVA footbed
- Outsole M-Select GRIP
- Pop of color and contrast stitches
Paying attention to color and contrasting stitches here is also paying attention to details.
Let’s delay no further and see what the customers had to say that can be construed as positive:
- I love Merrells, but I’m not much of a hiker, so I knew these boots would be awesome. I was a bit nervous I must admit since I gave a lot of money for boots that might end up not being used all that often. But my husband is taking me hiking, so you gotta do what you gotta do. I was pleasantly surprised once I got them even though I fully expected them to be great. Well, they’re even better than that
- Very comfortable and lightweight, plus the color is just adorable
- They show no signs of wear, and I’ve been using them for over a year now. We hiked through some pretty inhospitable areas, and these Merrells were truly shining during the toughest parts
- They’ve kept my feet dry even in the boggiest and most wet conditions imaginable, all that while being super lightweight and pretty breathable
- My feet are “blessed” with gazillions of problems, and I really need to take my time while I’m picking my hiking footwear. These proved to be an excellent choice, comfortable and light while simultaneously keeping my feet very warm and dry. I highly recommend them
- They are a perfect fit, and they look amazing! Color and style are definitely not something you often see in a pair of hiking boots, but there is a gem in the rough once in a while
- I’ve hiked through Grand Canyon with my boyfriend, and these proved to be more than a valid choice. My feet didn’t hurt at all, and being the couch potato that I am that certainly came off as a surprise
- They gave me a super grip through some snowy and icy environments. My feet didn’t have a field trip inside the boots, and they were pretty warm the entire trip. Super happy with them!
And here are some not so good experiences:
- I expected they would be true to size, but obviously I needed one size larger than my regular size
- The colors are a bit different than on my monitor
Conclusions on the Merrel Salida
Another close to perfect rating of 4.8/5 which is pretty much as good as it gets. The two deducted points are for design, which is again a matter of taste and customer service since we’ve seen one or two reports of women saying that the color on the image is not completely the same as the color of the product you get.
Overall, the Merrel Salida certainly looks and wears very well. Well deserved high rating.
Siren Hiking Boot
Again, let’s start by sharing what the company had to say about it’s product:
- Vibram sole
- Shaft approximately measures 4 inches from archStrobel construction for comfort and flexibility
- Lining made of breathable mesh with Aegis anti-odor treatment
- Ortholite anatomical footbed
- QForm stride-sequenced cushioning specifically designed for women
- Air cushion heel for shock absorption
- Vibram traction sole
Merrell does seem to brag a lot about the Siren but let us put under real scrutiny of those wearing it.
The PROs as reported by the users:
- These boots are fabulous! Probably the best Merrell women hiking boots out there. They’re super comfortable and give excellent support to my feet. I can wear them with any socks since I know I should always order half size larger pair
- I use them for literally everything. I started with just hiking, but ended up using them while I walk my dog, run errands, play paintball, and so on… They are just so comfortable, and the best part of the morning is where I get to slip these on
- They are very lightweight, durable, and completely waterproof. My boyfriend was really surprised at how a pair of hiking boots can simultaneously be both very light and breathable, yet 100% waterproof
- They have a terrific support for my arches, which is pretty big deal for me. They’re also extremely comfortable, and look like they’ll last forever
- My feet were dry during the entire trip. My feet are about 60 years old even though I’m just in my mid-twenties. They’ve given me a lot of headaches over the years, and these boots singlehandedly saved my hiking career
- I just love these boots! My feet feel at home while in them, and who’s to blame them. I’ve finally got a pair of boots that are comfortable and light, but still look good and stylish. Plus, they keep my feet dry and warm all the time. My feet were never sore once since I got these, and blisters are also left in the past
- Wonderful fit, and needed no break-in period. If they keep on making boots like this, I’ll have to remain a Merrell customer for life I guess
- My previous pair of Merrells started to fail structurally after many years of use, and I’ve gone for the closest thing I could find on the market today. I knew these couldn’t do me wrong, so them being awesome didn’t come as such a surprise
Here are some negative user experiences:
- I wished they’ve made a wider assortment of different colors. The ones that do exist are super cute, but more combinations are always better
- They’re comfortable and sturdy, but do seem to run a bit small
Conclusions about the Siren
A good shoes as you would expect from Merrell, but we have to say that we saw something that we are “allergic” to, if you will – reports of the boot not being true to size. It is strange to see cases of that from a reputable brand such as Merrell because it’s the age of online shopping and with that in mind you just have to make sure that your shoe is true to size.
These might be expectations and one can always return or exchange the shoes but it did cost the Siren a point in the Overall Rating.
Women’s Moab Hiking Boot
The specs that Merrel gives us about Moab:
- Lug-sole sole
- Mid-height boot
- It will keep your feet dry and comfortable in wet and hot weather
- Waterproof Dura leather with mesh upper
- Bellows tongue will keep the debris out
- Heel counter and toe cap made of synthetic leather
As always, let us take a moment to look at the positive review the actual users had to share:
- When outdoor supplies are concerned, I do a lot of research. Maybe even more than necessary. So, I’ve read a ton of Merrell hiking boots reviews, and these are the ones I went with. I am not disappointed, to say the least. It’s a trusted brand that also makes beautiful and very functional women’s hiking boots. Go with Merrell, and you just can not fail
- The Periwinkle ones match perfectly with my Kelty backpack. I have to admit the mesh made me wonder if they are completely waterproof, but it turned out their look was very deceptive in the best possible kind of way
- It’s almost as if I’m wearing a sneaker with a high top rather than a stiff boot intended for heavy-duty usage. My first hike with them was after a whole night of rain, and they performed wonderfully. They kept my feet from getting wet while keeping them perfectly warm the whole time
- They hold up my feet very nicely, and provide a great deal of ankle support. Most importantly, they don’t feel like two pieces of cast concrete, quite the opposite. I think Merrell has a female shoe designer who truly understands what a female hiker really wants and needs
- They are amazingly comfortable right out of the box. I started walking around the house the first time I put them on, but soon realized that no breaking-in was truly necessary
- These boots are tanks that come in pretty colors. They look and feel indestructible while being perfectly comfortable and lightweight. I would certainly recommend them to all women hikers out there
- They offer a lot of support, and the traction I have on slippery terrain is truly something else. I wore them through some pretty snowy weather, and my steps were never as secure. Plus, they keep my feet very warm and comfy even at some ridiculously low temperatures
- These boots are simply hugging my feet and keep them dry, warm, and comfortable even after a 9 mile hike
- I completely forgot what blisters are ad how they feel like
- They have a very rugged sole, which sticks to the ground and doesn’t let go unless you want it to
And here are some of the CONs:
- Unfortunately, they’re too narrow for my wide feet
- Attractive and sturdy, but they used to constantly rub my ankles, so I had to return them
Our Final Words on Moab
Yet another industry classic and currently the best rated boot on the list with a dangerously close to perfect rating of 4.9/5.
The fact that that in the history of SoleLabz reviews of hiking shoes there is no case of the perfect 5 rating (which we internally call a WHAMMY) says it all. The one point deducted is for customer service/guarantee.
Generally (at least that’s what some of our senior editor’s say) it used to be a “no questions” asked policy when you try to return a hiking shoe or a booth but today there are some questions and explanations involved but Merrel remains one of the leaders in this aspect of quality, too, so, in our humble opinion this is not a big deal.
With the hopes that this guide helps, we wish happy trails to all the Merrell fans out there.