The Salomon Quest 4D GTX has been voted best hiking boot for men 4 years in a row now, both by customers and experts – that pretty much says it all – it’s as good as it gets. I have done this once or twice in about a decade or work on reviewing hiking and trekking gear, but I can’t hold it in, so here it goes – the Salomon Quest 4D GTX is the best hiking boot the market has ever seen. There, I said it, and with a good reason – I own these babies and know a few other people that do and I know there’s nothing quite like it in the market today. It’s the top rated hiking boot by customers and it’s top rated by experts. In this Salomon 4D GTX review we dig deep into why this is the case and has been since it hit the market years ago.
They scored an Overall Rating of 4.9/5 which as close to the Whammy (5/5) that any product I ever reviewed came. I’ve never given a perfect score in 10 and a half years of reviewing hiking, trekking and camping products. Moving on to see what’s so good about these…
Basic information from the manufacturer
We’ll start grasping the concept behind these by reading what the manufacturer had to say, in the fact sheet:
- Synthetic sole
- Shaft approximately measures 6.75 inches from the shaft
- Adjustable circumference
- Removable insole
Having a short and concise product specification is the preferred option, in my opinion. It makes the customer feedback all that more valuable to us. And, from the customer’s perspective, I know I always get that feeling of resistance and uneasiness once confronted with an overly gilded product. So, we will let the real-life users have the last saying in their reviews of the Salomon 4D GTX.
Pleasant experiences the customers shared with us – the PROs
We will start picking apart these hiking boots by introducing some PROs that caught the average user’s eye – here are a few chosen quotes:
- They are actually true to size! I like how they fit perfectly, yet the toebox feels very roomy. They also give me a great amount of heel support, which is one of the most important things for me when testing out a new pair of boots
- They are just made beautifully! There is no break-in period required, as they’re amazingly comfortable right out of the box!
- I used them for the first time during my Kilimanjaro climb, and they performed like nothing I’ve seen before. Hands down the best men hiking boots I’ve had the pleasure of wearing!
- Their ability to resist water is simply dazzling! There’s no difference between a shallow puddle and a river stream for these bad boys, they’ll keep your feet dry no matter what
- Besides being ultra comfortable, they also look pretty sharp. I really like how they seem to follow the natural movement of my foot. Great buy and a sincere recommendation from this passionate hiker
- The last hike took us 6 days, and I’m talking about 8 hours of pure walking every single day! We’ve been through rocks, steep hills, and all kinds of swampy terrain you can think of, and these proved a valuable companion. They especially shined where all my past hiking boots failed miserably, during up and downhill stretches of the trail
- Gore-Tex really does the job once you find yourself ankle deep in the swampy slush! I was genuinely amazed at how easy they are to clean. We’ve been through some muddy patch, and I all had to do was wash them a bit in a stream. Incredible pair of boots for sure
- I’m starting to think I’ve developed a phobia of sorts from facing all those different men hiking boots reviews online when the time comes for a new pair. Luckily, this time around was no sweat at all. Overwhelmingly positive reviews from ALL of the users, plus a recommendation from a friend really made this purchase a walk in the park
- They are surprisingly lightweight for a pair of heavy-duty hiking boots. Plus, the heel is just narrow enough to allow a perfect fit, but no heel movement whatsoever
- Salomon really outdid itself this time! I don’t know how they possibly made these waterproof boots so breathable. I did my share of long-distance hiking since I’ve got them, and my feet don’t appear to be sweating at all. The fact that I completely forgot what blisters were all about is a complete different matter to be amazed at
- The traction on slimy and wet terrains is why I deem this to be one hell of a purchase!
- Best men hiking boots without the shred of doubt! The ankle support they give me makes my bad ankles sing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah all hike long
- This sole is magical! There’s no other explanation… It’s very stiff and rigid when you need it to be, yet flexible and adaptive to my feet’s movement. I don’t know how they did it, but by god they did
Some things the users didn’t like in their reviews of Salomon 4D GTX – the CONs:
The second part of the saga of the review hiking boots is where we’ll see some of the less than pleasant customer experiences:
- They are just slamming! The only downside I suppose is that they’re made more as cold weather hiking boots. I wore them during my summer hikes too though, and they still felt way better than a bunch of other models I’ve tried before
- The regular model was somewhat narrow for my orthotics to lie comfortably. I had to replace them for the wider version
- The instep feels a bit narrow, but I have my weird feet to blame for that. I hope it’ll get better as I wear them since I really like them and want to keep them as my permanent go-to hiking boots
The customers who bought these boots and used them in real life really helped us put them into a proper perspective and what can I say in the conclusion that I haven’t said in the first paragraph of this review.
With the only rating of 4 in the price category and an Overall Rating of 4.9/5 this is BY FAR the best rated hiking boot for men on the entire site.
They are completely waterproof, but still offering comfortable breathability; equipped to handle the toughest of terrains, yet lightweight and flexible; provide excellent heel/arch/ankle support and follow the natural movement of the foot; are very comfortable and well made, with a proper amount of durability; give good traction, which really shines on wet and slippery surfaces; offer an optimal protection from anything you might step on without the sole feeling too rigid, stiff, or movement restrictive; have a very roomy toebox, but narrower heel as to not allow any movement in that area; fit true to size.
On the other hand, they are made for colder weather and inhospitable conditions, so they might not feel optimal while worn during intense heat months.
I hope this review explained a bit why these boots are such crowd favorites. If you do go for the 4D GTX, I see no way of you being disappointed, trust me and 100s of other people that swear by these – and these are only the people who actually took the time to share their thoughts.
Hats down, Salomon.