Top 4 Under Armour tactical boots
The Under Armour boots we are about to present make for a great combat, police and army boot. In the last update, the Valsetz Side-Zip has been replaced at the top and the new BEST RATED BOOT by both our featured testers and in the user reviews in the last update is the UNDER ARMOUR STELLAR with an impressive rating of 96 / 100.
This update brings, it’s fair to say, no significant change. All the models we looked at here still dominate other categories and margins among tac boots by UA are pretty narrow. It is a cliche but who cares if it’s true – if you’re looking at the models listed below, the decision will come down to your taste, circumstances and design-preference.
Last updated: March 2019
Featured testers who tested and reviewed the UA tac boots included some of the best known names in the preparedness and adventure arena:
- JJ Johnson of RealitySurvival.com
- PJ of Prepper-Resources.com
- Jay of PrepforSHTF.com
- Anthony Urso of HomesteadAndPrepper.com
- Scott Gauvin of HikingForward.com
Anyway, we’ve finally seen a change at the top for this the update. Side-zip Valsetz are not the best-rated pair anymore, it’s the surprising new arrival – The Stellar, followed closely by the Valsetz Side-zip and RTS. We’ve got some fresh blood in the 4th place as well. It’s Under Armour’s GTX model called “Speed Freak”. Although we get our kicks giving nicknames to different models of footwear in the office, Speed Freak is simply unnickable (at least I invented a new word in the process).
Let’s get straight to the point present the winners (top 4 best rated) and their respective ratings before we “dissect” them:
TOP 4 best rated tactical boots by Under Armour
|Picture & Rating
|UA Valsetz Side Zip
|UA Valsetz RTS
|Under Armour Speed Freek 7"
Let’s move on, here are some ABC’s on how a good pair of tactical boots should look like.
(We are still gathering data and tester ratings for a full review of the UA Stellar – it’ will be live in no more than 15 days)
In the meantime, you can check out the raging reviews it’s getting on Amazon.
Review of UA Valsetz Side Zip Tactical Boots
See it on Amazon by following the links below
What Under Armour had to say about these tactical boots:
- Same old Valsetz, only with a zip on the side for easier access
- Water-resistant, lightweight mesh upper will remain breathable and durable, for optimal comfort
- Compression-molded, fully contoured EVA midsole will cushion your foot without adding extra weight to it
- ArmourGuide offers superior foot-strike impact to propulsion guidance
- ArmourBound will deliver optimal, responsive cushioning
PROs from the user & Tester reviews of the UA boot:
- These are the best tactical combat boots out of dozens I’ve tested throughout the years. They feel almost like I’m wearing shoes!
- No break-in time for me whatsoever
- I walk around for about 10-18 miles per one shift, and these hold up very well and provide good comfort during the whole thing
- Rocking a pair of Under Armour Valsetz tac zip boots is the closest thing to wearing tennis shoes in the world of heavy-duty footwear
- Before getting the Valsetz I would wait for a full day before my old boots were dry and ready to wear, even using some of the best boot dryers out there. The Valsetz, however, dries out in a few hours and that’s a big plus for me
- I’ve started feeling some serious pain in my left heel and changed three pairs of boots before setting my sights on these bad boys. Really comfortable and great for prolonged walking
- Working in EMS here and these boots were primarily bought for the comfort they provide. I’ve had them for about two years now, and they pull their weight (or my weight, to be exact) like champs!
- I’ve always had my reservations regarding the sizing of footwear I order online, but these came as a recommendation from a friend and they are 100% true to size
- I work as a security office around a football stadium, and I’m on my feet around 10 hours every day. These boots were recommended to me by some local police officers we’re cooperating with, and they really make my last pair look like a piece of junk! Standing on the sidelines in one spot for hours without my feet hurting like crazy is all I ever wanted in a pair of boots and Under Armour delivered!
- The price is really budget-friendly compared to the quality and the money they saved me in the long run, and Under Armour customer service is one of the best ones out there
- I’ve replaced my trusty old Danner Tactical boots with these. I was skeptical because of how light they are but the materials are good and this boots looks like it’s gonna last…
- I’ve just bought my second pair, and that pretty much says it all. Added benefit for me is that they look amazingly cool
- My work revolves around crime scenes, and I’m on my feet all day long pretty much. That’s why these boots, light as they are came as a true blessing. They’re with me for about a year and a half, and they’re still going strong. I even machine washed them a couple of times…
- Only pair of boots I can sprint in without a very painful aftermath
- I’m a firefighter, and I bought these as my official duty boots. They’re really comfortable and don’t slow me down at all, unlike my last pair of heavy-duty boots
What the users didn’t like and shared in reviews:
- I’ve grown accustomed to 8” boots, and the only thing I don’t really enjoy about this Valsetz tactical boot is the fact that it’s 7”. It’s a bit too low as far as my shins are concerned, so it tends to rub on them somewhat
- I don’t particularly like the lacing system, luckily these are side zip tactical boots
- When I got them, the zip on the left boot was completely messed up! I contacted the Under Armour customer service, returned them and got a fresh pair with fully functional zippers in record time
Let’s summarize this tactical boots review
The number one selling point for these Under Armour Valsetz tactical boots is how lightweight they are, paired with great comfort and customer service highly glorified by the users. The thing that somewhat surprised me at first was the sheer specter of professions these boots found their home in. We’ve seen firefighters, security officers, crime scene investigators, hikers, field and EMS workers using them to great effect. They’re all pointing out the ability of this model to keep their feet pain-free after standing/walking/running for prolonged periods of time. The price resonated reasonably well with the customers (compared to the quality they offer), as well as the “cool factor” they certainly have no shortage of.
All things aside, the modern aggressive design and the fats that it’s so light are the two factors that separate Valsetz from the crowd, you can also see it listed in the best lightweight police boots guide.
Now we have enough info to back it up with some hard numbers.
Category and Overall ratings
UA Valsetz RTS 1.5 Tactical Boots
The fact sheet of the RTS:
- Leather, textile and synthetic upper with abrasion-resistant, welded film that covers the perimeter of the foot
- Micro G full-length foam makes explosive takeoffs out of cushioned landings
- TPU lightweight shank offers the mid support and the correct amount of rigidity
- Sockliner is molded ortholite, designed with a PU base and memory foam top
Excerpts from the positive reviews:
- As a Washington Police Officer, a former member of the Marine Corp, and a long-time Under Armour user I know my way around tactical boots, and these are COMFORTABLE, even for their standards.
- My feet are size 10, I ordered size 10 from Amazon, and they fit like a glove. So much for buying boots online being complicated and risky
- These are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever had! It’s like putting my feet into cotton every time I put them on
- Provides good overall protection for a tactical boot
- I’ve put together a great combat outfit around these brown combat boots…
- Every time I see the UA brand attached to a product I consider it almost a no-brainer. Not to mention my long-lasting “relationship” with the company
- I’ve been their customer for years now, and these are the best Under Armour tactical boots I’ve owned so far. They’re basically everything you want when if working in law enforcement. A tactical boot with the feel of a tennis shoe, what more to ask for?
- They were comfortable right off the bat with no breaking in period whatsoever
- Great ankle combat boots, two tours in Iraq and they still hold like a champ
- They arrived two whole days before the set date
- They’re really lightweight and look amazing!
- I was a long-time user of Converse tactical boots, but my favorite model is not manufactured anymore, so I needed a proper replacement. These Under Armour tactical boots are the closest thing I found, the only difference being they cost considerably less. Came highly recommended from my coworkers, and I definitely join the recommendation
- I’m no police officer or in the army, I’m work in a small grocery store, but these really help out when you have to stand on your feet the entire shift. They fixed my problems with aching knees and feet, and I recommend them highly. To everyone out there working similar jobs go tactical!
- They’re so light I thought I got only one boot in the packaging
- They’re very easy to clean. This is my first pair based on mesh and faux-leather. I used to be a traditional guy who always went full-leather. The change that came with these is life-altering, especially when you’re standing for 10 hours a day.
There’s definitely no shortage of praising experiences. Let’s check out some of the negatives as well:
- I really wished they were waterproof so I could use them ALL the time
- One of the laces broke after a month or so, but I got two new pairs from Under Armour free of charge the next day via FedEx
- I’m used to insoles having A LOT of cushion to them, so these weren’t exactly perfect. Nothing a cheap store-bought pair couldn’t fix, though
- They tend to get a bit “squeaky” on polished surfaces
Overall Ratings of the Valsetz RTS
Conclusions about the RTS
RTS was a big contender for best Under Armour tactical boots, but it couldn’t really cut it against its older brother. They basically have the same features that the name of the company guarantees, but you can see minor differences as reflected in the overall pricing. The devil is in the details, and those little things do add up. They’re both premium-quality products, one is just a tad superior, that’s all. You can see the full review of the Valsetz RTS here.
UA Speed Freak 7-inch Boots
Let’s go over the DNA of these tactical boots, as UA likes to put it:
- GTX lining ensures 100% water-resistance while keeping your feet dry by letting the sweat escape
- Overlaid with waterproof, lightweight pigskin leather for added durability and protection
- Outsole with push-through protection keeps your feet safe from rough terrain hazards without losing flexibility
- TPU high-abrasion toe cap adds protection and durability to the front part of the boot
- EVA durable midsole for shock absorption and lightweight cushioning
What the users liked about these uA service/ tactical boots:
- They’re a very tight fit, but without causing lack of blood flow or any sort of discomfort
- I went through some rough mountainous terrains wearing these tactical boots (western Arizona and Nevada), and they kept me safe from sharp rocks while giving me excellent traction
- I needed a pair of ultra-light yet supportive and rugged boots, and these fit the bill perfectly!
- They came as a huge surprise for me. I’ve had my share of boots (tactical, hiking, desert, you name it), and I learned what to expect once GoreTex is in the picture. These offer amazing breathability while keeping all the benefits of GTX. I don’t know how they did it but boy, am I glad they did
- This is a great pair of Under Armour service boots. I used to wear standard issue thinking it’s all the same, but boy was I wrong. It’s much lighter and flexible than standard issue…
- These Under Armour boots are great police work. I’ve burned through 6 pairs of different tactical boots in the last three years, and I can confidently say this model is here to stay
- They’re made of real leather! That doesn’t just make them durable and waterproof, but also very easy to polish and keep clean even after some pretty messy operations
- My line of work really puts my footwear to the test. My previous pair of Speed Freaks lasted more than two years after receiving a proper beatdown on a daily basis. So, if you’re going to put your boots through some rough times, I highly recommend this model
- If you are looking for a god ankle combat boots, look no further. My expectations are met and exceeded.
- My ankles are just plain busted so having proper ankle support is my number one concern, and with these tactical boots I have nothing to be concerned about
- They’ve really performed well during the summer months. I thought GoreTex will be impossible to wear due to reduced breathability, but Speed Freaks stopped me in my tracks with that line of thinking. My feet never got sweaty once during the entire summer!
- Under Armour tactical boots never cease to amaze me. I don’t know how they made a GTX boot so lightweight and breathable, but I’m sure glad I got myself a pair
- I use these on my construction job. I’m constantly going over irregular surfaces and gravel, and the stability they give me is very hard to match. None of my previous working boot did it so far
- South East Alaska is my home, and traction is what we’re all about when it comes to boots. I’ve been over wet logs, mossy creaks, climbing stuff all the time, and the grip they provide is unparalleled
- I use them for paintball, and they’ve performed pretty well in wet and muddy terrains
- My feet are bone dry and well padded all the time
Cons shared in the reviews:
- They’re just a bit pricey if you ask me. High-quality but could definitely cost less
- My only complaint is that there’s no winter version of these boots
- Mine came with some accidental glue on one of the strings, and I constantly fail to get it off
Overall ratings of the Speed Freek 7″
Speed Freak tactical boots review summary
The one thing that separates these boots from the heard is the fact that they’re tactical boots with GoreTex lining that are completely waterproof yet highly breathable.
If there’s one thing on the negative side that we saw with these since the last update is that they were often out of stock. We’re not sure if this is temporary issue and we are currently doing our best to find somebody with answers.
Anyway, let’s get back to the digest review – GoreTex is a great addition to your footwear, but it’s an obvious trade-off. You’ll get water-resistance, but give away breathability and overall ventilation of your feet. Not here! Under Armour tactical boots division obviously managed to iron all the kinks of this trade-off by making a combination of resistance to the elements and feet ventilation. So, your feet will remain dry at all times as they’ll be protected from outside influences as well as the inside ones. Read the complete review of the Speed Freek Here.
Conclusion and final thoughts on the best Under Armour tac boots
Under Armour is one of the major players out there as far as sports clothing/accessories go. They were founded in 1995, but became our point of interest in 2006, once they started offering footwear. Their headquarters are located in Baltimore, followed by additional offices in Amsterdam, Denver, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Austin, Oregon… I’m just saying this to put into the perspective the name that stands behind every UA product you might think of buying. They were also the official outfitters for several Warner Brothers movies and for XFL football league.
UA tactical boots are overwhelmingly praised by the customers for their light weight and comfort, paired with excellent support, ankle protection, durability, and cool looks. That’s why they have a dedicated guide on our page that we will keep on updating for you every two months, keeping you always in front of the 8-ball.
Stay safe and choice wise
Last updated: March 2019