Review of Under Armour Valsetz RTS
Under Armour dishes out slews of bombastic motivational slogans to go with their tactical boots. “Cool factor” has always been one of their main focuses, if we’re honest. And this boot is among top 3 Under Armour tactical boots today.
This is undoubtedly one of our favorite boots of its type and possible in a broader chunk (beyond tactical). And for most of us working on this site, it is THE favorite shoe. Period.
The Valsetz is our top pick in several categories – from top-rated police boots to the top picks among all tac boots to ED footwear.
However, this update brings significant changes, primarily in how they compare to similar boots in different price ranges. For you, this means that this guide is a one-stop-shop source of info crafted to give you one crucial answer – is this classic from UA still worth it, or are there better alternatives out there…
Last updated: August 2022
We might argue they come off a bit corny occasionally, but one particularly resonated with me. It says: “Go where you don’t belong.”
A few photos from the field testing of the UA Valsetz RTS:
SoleLabz began as a simple site about hiking boots and shoes we’ve personally tested; that’s it. We first stepped out of our comfort zone with a pair of Under Armour Speed Freek boots; the rest is history. The boots themselves “went” where they didn’t belong and took us on a joyride that lasts ‘till this very day. Today, some of the best-known names in the preparedness arena (including some veterans) are our featured testers.
Video review of one of our featured testers, JJ Johnson of RealitySurvival.com:
What changed since the last update?
Under Armour tactical boots make for the most “boring” reviews updates. You don’t ever see any seismic shifts in grades or user satisfaction… Come to think of it that might be a good thing after all. As we mentioned, the UA Valsetz Side-Zip, the Valsetz RTS, and the Speed Freek are in the TOP 3 best-rated UA tac boots on the market.
Here’s what changed in the UA RTS ratings:
- Our overall ratings has gone higher since positive user reviews were on a slight rise in the last couple of months.
- On the other hand, We’ve spotted a trend of more people complaining about the squeaking noises they produce. I personally don’t mind them, but just in case you do… You might construe this as nitpicking, but that’s the only “exciting” change we have to show for in two months since the last update.
Back to reviewing basics for tactical boots….
what you’ll learn in this review:
- Basic information about the boots provided by the manufacturer
- A list of likes and dislikes by the customers wearing them
- Final thoughts and personal opinion of the reviewer
That’s what lies ahead, so let’s get cracking! Or, “Slay the next giant”, as Under Armour would put it…
Let’s see what we’re working with:
- Textile mixed with synthetic leather for light weight and durability
- UA ClutchFit support system for the ankles
- Water resistant DWR upper
- Added toe protection with TPU toe wrap
- The foot perimeter is surrounded by a welded PU film that’s highly abrasion resistant
- 7 inches in height
- Ortholite anti-microbial sock liner
- G midsole is ultra-light and reinforced with a TPU shank
- Lugs are low profile and made of rubber
That’s exactly what we expect from Under Armour tactical boots specification. Cool-sounding patented technologies and bold statements, sealed with a lot of Thermoplastic Polyurethane (TPU). They do a lot of good advertising, but this boot is not just sparkles, it’s the real deal.
PROs from the user reviews of the UA Valsetz
Here’s how Valsetz RTS “earned its Armour”:
- They’re the most comfortable and supportive duty boots I’ve ever worn!
- As a police officer and an ex-marine I’m telling you, these are no-brainers. Comfort and lightweight aside, it’s the first time I ordered my size and got tactical boots that fit perfectly
- It feels like slipping my foot into pure cotton every time I put them on
- I do my workouts in these and walk a couple of miles every day. Not to mention I’m an operating engineer for four large buildings. These are as light and comfortable as your average running shoe, but they still support my ankles perfectly. They got rid of the joint fatigue I’ve been feeling too
- I had hung up my uniform years ago, but you never really get military habits out of your life. I wore Under Armour Valsetz RTS back in the day, and still wear them now. They’re tough, able to take a beating and a high-quality gear in the experience of this old dog
- Quite cheap tactical boots for the quality they offer
- I’m a firefighter and these UA boots were a true revelation for me! I wore heavy tactical boots for years, and they really took a toll on my feet, ankles and knees. I’m on my feet 10 hours a day at times, and having feather-light tactical boots with similar support and protection is a godsend
- I took them for a first hike last week, and they did wonders. What surprised me the most was how much traction they gave me on wet rocks during river crossings. They dry up lightning fast as well
- I’ve completely switched my trail runners for Valsetz. They’re basically the same thing, with added support and stability behind door number two
- They took absolutely no time to break in. It was as if they were specially designed for my feet from the get go
- They just look ubercool! Both my girlfriend and I got them since we’re both in the military and the Valsetz is the just the lightest and most forgiving boot for desert conditions there is.
- I really like the upper material. It washes super easy and dries almost as fast
- Very breathable tactical boots. I’ve replaced my hiking boots with them and never looked back. Blistering is reduced to zero as well as perspiration
- I play basketball in these, and they give me great maneuverability with some sweet ankle support
- They feel like second skin. I mostly had problems with blisters in the heel area, but Valsetz fixed it like a pro. Best tactical/hiking boots ever!
Let’s check the downsides…
Excerpts from negative reviews :
- I wish they made them better suited for winter months
- If Under Armour reads this, please add more color choices!!!
- They’re pretty noisy, especially when I get them wet
- The synthetic leather took some time to get used to. I usually wore full-grain or suede hiking boots and switching to synthetics felt a bit awkward. Nothing I couldn’t handle, though
- I wish they were waterproof
- The sole on the left one wasn’t glued properly when I got them. I’ve contacted UA immediately to replace it, of course. They were very responsive and sent me a new pair immediately even though I just needed the one. Good customer service from Under Armour for sure
Final thoughts on the review of UA RTS
This top-rated model took the number two spot on our “Best Under Armour tactical boots” guide. That says volumes right there. And as we mentioned, that didn’t change much with this update or with a number of previous updates for that matter.
Our featured testers and customers agree they’re one of the lightest (at an incredible 15.5 oz they weigh like tennis shoes) and most comfortable tactical boots out there. They’re also highly ventilated, eliminating perspiration and blisters. Breathability makes them dry much quicker than any other tac boot out there, making them a great choice even for wet terrains.
As with Valsetz side zip, they’re used by people in a wide variety of occupations. It ranges from hikers to firefighters to soldiers. It’s also the best-rated light police duty boot for a number of rating updates now.
They’re not waterproof, but water-resistant and some people found issues with that, which is not really fair because being completely waterproof means GoreTex and pig skin (most often) and that adds weight. That’s not what the RTS is about, it’s about being light on your feet.
They’re also hot weather tactical boots, so I wouldn’t advise playing in the snow with them. The noise is something we just figured out in this update, so be warned if that sort of thing bothers you. All the advantages of this model are tied well together by a competent and responsive Under Armour customer support, reasonable price and a lifetime warranty.
Last updated: May 2022