If you are a male hiking enthusiast looking for the best hiking shoe that will be just right for you, you’re at the right place. The Sole Labz website is where experts and hikers, people just like you, voted and picked the winners.
The research is done for you, right on this page and the results presented clearly for your convenience.
What constitutes a top quality hiking shoe or boot is more different for a man and a woman than one might think.
We here at Sole Labz know this very well. Some of us have learned the lesson in our most active hiking days and some of us are seeing the difference every day on the trails. Still, some of the companies didn’t learn the lesson to date. They still make basically the same shoe, just shaped and sized differently.
This guide is where we handpick the best hiking shoes for men, based on our experience, that of our many friends that are outdoor enthusiasts, and most importantly, the customers that own these shoes today or owned them at some point.
Here’s how this is going to work – We learned over time that people who like to be presented the easily digestible info right away are a majority and that’s what we’ll do, present the winners in the category of top men hiking shoes and then move on to explain how and why they got there, focusing on the reviews, the pros and cons provided by the people wearing the shoe today.
Focusing on customer reviews excludes subjectivity and makes the information always fresh and relevant. The regular updates of this list are bi-monthly.
Here we are, the top rated hiking shoes for men on the market today:
|Moab Men’s Ventilator Hiking Shoe
|4.8 / 5
|Outdoor AX2 Hiking Shoe
|4.6 / 5
|Terrex Swift Mountain Sport Shoes
|4.7 / 5
|Crux Approach Hiking Shoe
|4.8 / 5
|X Ultra Hiking Shoe
|4.7 / 5
Moab Men’s Ventilator Hiking Shoe
We will first deal with the product description as per the manufacturer:
- Mesh and leather
- Vibram sole
- M-Select DRY lining for moister wicking
- M-Select FRESH prevention of odors
- Bellows tongue
- Air cushion heel for shock absorption
- Sticky Vibram outsole
Here we have some of the PROs the users had to share:
- This is one outstanding shoe! It provides great support, even for my flat feet. It’s a great choice for any passionate hiker out there, even more so if you have feet problems like I do
- They are very slip resistant, and I’ve taken them through some pretty rough conditions and surfaces. All the time I felt like I was behind the wheel of an excellent car
- It’s an extremely comfortable shoe for longer hikes. It supports my feet perfectly, and the sole is thick and firm enough not to feel every little pebble underfoot
- I like how elastic the sole is. It bends and follows my feet perfectly, so I can go on a longer hike without any fear of blisters and sore feet afterwards
- These really surprised me with how comfortable they were right of the bat. Usually, you’d expect these kinds of shoes to require some break-in period. They were perfect from the moment one, and just got more and more comfortable as the time passed
- I wore them during my 12-month deploy in Afghanistan, and they’ve proven to be more than a solid choice. The sole offers a great grip, as I never once slipped during my daily mountain hikes. They’ve lasted throughout my whole deployment, which testifies to their durability
- Great quality, great shoe, great company!
- It’s my 4th pair of Moab Ventilators, which pretty much says how I feel about them. Their performance, price and comfort are just flawless
- Their versatility simply amazes me. They’re good for walking on cobblestone, pavement, gravel, rock, dirt, just name it. Just yesterday I lifted weights in them, and I really like the grounded feeling they give me while lifting. They even served me occasionally for an impromptu football match
- They’re great even for snowy weather. They just give me that much traction even on icy surfaces that I can do all my errands and be off my merry way without slipping even once
Let’s contrast these with some CONs:
- My feet tend to get a bit hot in these after a longer hike
- Merrell sizes are somewhat smaller than regular, so you safest bet is to go for the bigger size than you would usually buy
- The shoes themselves are awesome, but the laces broke down after a couple of months, so I had to replace them
The final thoughts and the review rating
This is one serious candidate for the “Best hiking shoes for men” title. It has been so as far as I know it. If you received or bought a Moab Ventilator that fails you, return it because you probably were unlucky enough to get a product that’s flawed out of the factory. This shoes is designed to last. No compromises.
They’re a safe choice and an excellent hiking sidekick.
Sole Labz Overall quality rating of 4.8/5 puts this shoes right there at the top with the best. It’s also listed as one of the best hiking boots for men, so kudos to Merrell for this one.
Outdoor AX2 Hiking Shoe
Here is the official product specification:
- TRAXION outsoles ensure the best agility and grip during fast activities; Continental rubber offers optimal grip for wet conditions
- ADIPRENE+ forefoot maintains efficiency and propulsion
- Designed to provide downhill comfort and enhanced motion control
- Molded sockliner gives ultimate comfort and fit
- Weighs 13oz/370g
Futuristic and very promising with a lot of fancy words in the description. Let’s see if the customers agree.
The PROs as per the customers:
- I’ve read many men hiking shoes reviews, and simply knew I couldn’t possibly go wrong with Adidas. Besides comfort, they look very sharp, and they come with a very grippy sole. My research really paid off, and I couldn’t be happier with this buy
- These are extremely durable. Plus, their versatility is mind boggling. You can use them for all sorts of hikes, but also as everyday footwear. Just awesome
- They’re true to size, which is an extreme rarity in the world of hiking shoes (or boots for that matter)
- They’re basically weightless. On top of that, they have a very rugged bottom and are really comfortable. It’s a great product, and it has my recommendation
- We’ve gone on a 6 mile “right out of the box” hike, and I must admit I was blown away with how comfortable they were right away. No break-in period needed
- They’re a really nice blend of flexibility and stiffness. I’ve tested them thoroughly, and I can say they great for some pavement strolling, but also for more intense off-road hiking
- These are the best hiking shoes for men in my humble opinion. At least for my purposes. I own a pair of Adidas Terrex, but they make my feet all hot and sweaty, so I was in need of a lighter shoe with better ventilation. These were spot on, same comfort, traction, and durability, but with mesh. And let me tell you, my feet (and nose) really appreciate the dash of cooler air J
- Very comfortable and stable shoes. I really like how the front is pointed, providing an ample amount of room for my toes. Plus, they look very nice, so I can use them as everyday shoes too
- Very light, great traction, and good looking. I was searching for a light yet firm and durable pair of hiking shoes, and Adidas really answered my prayers
- These feel a bit too big compared to my other shoes of the same size
- The orange parts of the shoes were somewhat different than viewed in the pictures online
- They’re great but only for regular width feet. I regrettably had to return them since my feet are too wide for a comfortable fit
The Sole Labz review and final rating
Comfortable and light, cool, modern-looking, elastic yet firm enough… All in all, it’s Adidas.
This piece of eye candy will get you looks and compliments if you are on a busy trail. They probably won’t last as long as the Merrell Moabs would but boy, do they look nice and fancy. So, it all comes down to your taste and if you can sacrifices some durability and a bit of sturdiness for being the best looking guy on that trail 🙂
With that said, the AX2 is very popular with the younger hikers.
Overall quality rating of 4.6/5 – as we said, small sacrifices are made to make the AX2 light and gorgeous.
Terrex Swift Mountain Sport Shoes
Let’s familiarize ourselves with the product a bit:
- Mountain sports shoes
- Breathable Gore-Tex lining
- Synthetic and mesh upper for comfort and lightweight
- Molded sockliner
- Enhanced fit and comfort
And now for some PROs:
- An excellent pair of shoes. Good old goretex won’t fail you even in the wettest of conditions. Completely waterproof, very comfortable, and breathable as much as you can expect from a full goretex shoe
- Superb shoe and very comfortable right out of the box. They’re in charge of keeping the dryness of my feet in check while I do my thing in the fields around our house. Goretex is simply the way to go if you have to do your business in boggy and wet terrain
- Thick and stiff sole, with huge threads, just like you would expect to see in a great hiking shoe. The material is also very stiff. All in all, it’s a great shoe for wet conditions, be it during hiking or simply doing errand around the house
- Probably the best hiking shoes for men I’ve ever laid my eyes upon. I’ve burned through many a hiking shoe, in search for the optimal combo of durability, comfort, and elements protection. I guess the winner decided to reveal itself. Great shoes, and my sincere recommendation
- This is one extraordinary pair of hiking shoes. They went with me through the flooded rainforest of Costa Rica, and persistent Rochester snow, holding up like champs at all times. They can handle pretty much anything you throw their way
- I wore them through wet grass, water puddles, and mud. They’ve kept my feet completely dry, providing me with excellent traction along the way. I really enjoy the system for quick lacing, as it makes things faster and easier
- They look even better in person then the online pictures, and they fit perfectly. Adidas really did an excellent job with these, making the best hiking shoes for men I’ve ever bought. Well deserved 5-star grade (would give more if it were possible)
- I’ve been searching for a pair of shoes that are light, but strong enough to play disc golf in them. Disc golf courses in Colorado are all about scrub, hills, fallen trees, cacti, and occasional ball fishing out of the stream. These shoes fit the role perfectly
Some less than pleasant feedback – the CONs:
- They run small…
- I wish they had a bit more of an ankle support
- My feet tend to get little sweaty in them, but I guess it’s pretty normal for a fully waterproof shoe
- To narrow for my wide feet to sit comfortably. Shame since they look amazing
The customers and users have spoken. There’s nothing more I can add and remain original besides suggest that you go for these without a second thought if you’re in need of a great, completely waterproof pair of shoes.
Our conclusions and rating
The Terrex is among the top 3 best rated Adidas hiking shoes for men, and has been for as long as we can remember. But go a size higher if you order this one, because they run a bit small – that has also been the case for as long as we can remember.
What Adidas did with this product is very smart – target those people that do not want to compromise on quality and durability but still want some of that “new-school” flair when it comes to looks.
A bit less fancy than the AX2 and a with a bit better materials used for the upper parts, the only real issue with the Terrex has always been being true to size.
But, it’s kind of a non-issue any more because if you are reading this you’ll know to go a size up when getting it. It’s still a pity that we can’t “forgive” these sort of issues and we had to deduct two points from Terrex for not being true to size.
This brings the Adidas Terrex to Overall Sole Labz quality rating 4.7/5.
Crux Approach Hiking Shoe
Let’s deal with the product specification first:
- Textile and leather
- Rubber sole
- Built for smearing, scrambling, approach hiking
- Kevlar forefoot webbing
- Heel “easy-on” pull
- Sticky Vibram outsole
Moving on to the chosen pleasant experiences:
- I really like the lacing system since it allows me to adjust it according to the hiking terrain. I’ve never seen this kind of customizability in a pair of hiking shoes
- They are very comfortable, and they have a pretty sturdy toe cap, offering extraordinary protection for my toes. These are one of a kind
- They’re extremely lightweight, but, more importantly true to size. I didn’t have to test out various sizes before I find one that’s gonna fit
- No break-in period required for these to be super comfortable. They were great right out of the box, and just got more and more comfortable as I wore them
- The soles are very grippy, which is one of the most important things for me. I like that sense of stability that so far only these shoes provided. The sole is also great for wet conditions since they smear
- These sole seem like they were specially made for edging
- Thread pattern is built as to not accumulate mud or any other sort of dirt. Even when that does happen, it simply cleans itself off somehow. I know it sounds crazy, but that’s exactly what happens
- They are built very well, and the materials used seem good quality. The shoe as a whole is very durable and still looks almost brand new after a 30 or so runs
- The only problem is that I never want to take them off. They’re so comfortable, and so different from everything I wore so far. I bought them as a complimenting pair for my heavy hiking boots, and I’m surely glad I did
- These are the grippiest threads I’ve ever seen. I tried them even against some wet rocks, and they held me tightly in place, unlike my previous shoes, which had my feet flying all over the place
- Excellent approach shoes! They simply stick to the ground like glue and make you feel secure like never before
Some bad experiences chosen to represent the CONs:
- Even 1.0 size larger is too narrow for my feet
- The hole punch for the lace started showing signs of wear after a bit more intense use. It didn’t rip all the way, but it looks like it might
Conclusion of the Scarpa Crux review and the final rating
If you follow how a pair of shoes is received fby the market and you see zero reviews rating it with a 1 or 2 for a very long time (years) , you know you got a winner on your hands. That’s what we did with this Scarpa, we have been following what happens with the ratings for a pretty long time now and it have only just recently met all the criteria to be included in “top rated hiking men shoes”.
One look at this Scarpa model and you might think you are looking at a light city shoes or a running shoe. Boy, would you be wrong to think that and that’s the main quality of the CRUX.
Kevlar forefoot and the Vibram outsole make all the difference. They are light and easy on the eye, but stuff tough enough on the road. If bouldery approaches are giving you hard times, you will not find soles with a better grip currently on the market.
Overall Quality rating 4.8/5.
X Ultra Hiking Shoe
A word from the company:
- Rubber sole
- Breathable quick-drying mesh upper
- Toe cap made of protective rubber
- EVA injected midsole
- Nonmarking outsole
Delving into the good things users had to say:
- I’ve been having certain medical issues my whole life when it comes to my feet. These shoes offer just the right amount of arch support, and I’m more than satisfied with this buy
- I like how the heel is quite high and offers enough space for some orthotics accommodation. The size is the same as my regular size, so there were no sizing issues whatsoever
- I didn’t think I could get happier with this purchase, but after owning these shoes for a couple of weeks and walking more than a hundred miles in them I must say I like them even more now. Super comfortable, and I think there are no limits when it comes to hiking while wearing them
- They are true to size and extremely comfortable. They are an excellent choice for sandy hills, rocky terrain climbing, or for your average casual walk
- The soles are very strong, so you’ll have no problems going over some nasty terrains. Running shoes are usually known for having thinner soles, but these still remain surprisingly elastic for their size and should last much longer than your average light running shoe
- It is an amazing blend of durability, strong soles, and lightweight construction. I thought they’ll be way too heavy for me, judging by the bulk of the soles, but they’re really not. If you need a good hiking shoe, get this shoe. You won’t regret it, I know I didn’t
- It’s a great shoe! Very comfortable and well made. I bought them for the purpose of our Alaska trip, and after it’s all been said and done I can recommend it wholeheartedly
- These are the best hiking shoes for men if you’re ranging from casual to light trail blazing. I’ve read a lot of men hiking shoes reviews, and I can say they were all true when it comes to these. Excellent shoes and one terrific buy
- Besides being very comfortable, I like the way they look too. They’re pretty stylish, and I even use them for my day-to-day errands. You won’t regret buying these
Here are some of the known CONs:
- These are definitely NOT the shoes for people with bunion or wide feet issues
- If I had to name one thing that I think might be better with these shoes it would be the laces. They don’t look like they can parry the overall durability of the shoes themselves, and I expect I’ll have to change them in a month or two. Other than that, they’re the best hiking shoes for men I’ve ever owned
- I don’t like the lacing system. Regular laces would be a much better option. These always seem to tight in the start, and then get a bit too loose as the time passes
Sole Labz team ratings and conclusions
A couple of Salomon models have been in and out of this list (like the Escape GTX or the GTA PRO) and this shoe, the X Ultra.
This a great shoe with a few issues, some of them subjective and some of those universal.
What we find strange is that the issue of people reporting the shoe running small wasn’t always the case. It just started at one point. We have to admit we have no idea what happened there but going half a number up is the way to go if you go with the X Ultra.
The point deducted for price is a subjective thing since Salomon models tend to be a few bucks more expensive then the same class models from different companies. Our guess is that the fans of the Salomon shoes and their unique design do not really care about the few extra bucks and the company recognizes the fact and is not afraid to price their models just a tad higher.
Ironically, based on our statistics, the third point deducted is for the design. We have a ratings system and we stick to it, but this point is deducted simple because of the fact that Salomon has that deign that you love or hate.
Why would anybody buy a shoe and then complain about the design in a public review is beyond us, but this factor made it to the numbers bringing the X Ultra from a 4.8 to a 4.7 out of 5.
Final thoughts on best hiking shoes for men
Nothing much to add but remind you that all of our guides are maintained with diligence to follow changes on the market and are updated bi-monthly unless the circumstances call for a non-scheduled update (like finding out that a particular model is changing production location and we know this might influence the quality).
Long story short – not many ways to go wrong choosing any of the shoes on this list. They’re all reliable products proven over time.
From that point on, it’s just a matter of your taste.
Sole Labz team